Here’s a guide to the best carry on bag in our range, including great carry on rucksacks such as the Osprey Farpoint 40 and the Lowe Alpine AT Carry-On 45, and wheeled travel bags from The North Face.
Since airlines began to charge for check-in (hold) luggage, people are increasingly looking for ways to make the most efficient use of carry on bags to store everything needed for a short break, while avoiding charges.
There is confusion on exactly the size of carry on bag that can be taken onto an aircraft, with there being no standardised cabin bag size restriction at present. Take a look at the list below which highlights cabin allowance from major airlines.
Best Carry On Travel Bags
Osprey Farpoint 40
The Farpoint 40 is by our most popular carry on bag. It’s a spacious, sturdy and well-designed travel bag with a simple yet attractive aesthetic. At 50x33x20cm and just 130g this the Farpoint is Osprey’s lightest back-packable travel pack that fits within EU carry-on dimensions. It’s designed for travelers who prefer a more compact, lightweight and streamlined rucksack, with a generous capacity and a comfortable carry.
The bag uses a 210D X 330D nylon shadow box / 420D HD nylon packcloth fabric and, if anything, it’s over-spec’d for a travel bag. Customers will be highly confident in the strength and reliability of the fabric, stitching and construction of this bag. Our returns rate on Osprey packs across the range is incredibly low.
- Reverse mesh backpanel with spacer mesh harness/hipbelt
- Padded laptop sleeve
- Sternum strap with emergency whistle
- StraightJacket™ compression
- Zip away torso-adjustable, removable harness and hipbelt
- Internal compression strap system
- Internal key attachment clip
- Internal mesh side pocket
- Internal organisation pocket
- Panel zip access to
- main compartment with lockable zippers
Lowe Alpine AT Carry On
Another best-selling bag, the AT Carry on is a versatile bag designed to fit the regulations of most airlines. At 53x35x25cm and 45 litres it offers a little more capacity than the Farpoint (40 litres) while still staying within the confines of British Airways, Flybe, and EasyJet airlines (at time of writing)
A classic Lowe Alpine bag the AT Carry-On is a versatile bag designed to fit airline regulations* that can be carried a few different ways, built to last fabrics and useful features for daily use.
- Fold-away back system
- Internal load compression straps
- Shoulder strap
- Valuables pocket
- Tamperproof zippers
- Laptop sleeve
- Side compression
- Internal mesh pocket
- Shoulder strap
- TravelShield® Plus fabric
The North Face Rolling Thunder 22″
The Rolling Thunder by the North Face is a wheeled carry on bag that, at 53x35x25cm, will fit into the the cabin of most European airlines (see the table below). Intuitive organisation, robust materials and reinforced high wear zones are just some of the hallmarks of this iconic luggage.
Because of the extra features and the extra engineering that has gone into development and product, this bag is more expensive than the previous two, but it offers hugely robust performance thanks to its incredibly tough tarp-like fabric that many will know from the base camp duffel series.
Extra abrasion resistance comes from the plastic bumpers are located on high-wear zones, proven to give years of service in the rough and tumble of trips and travel.
- Coated daisy chains for durable lash points
- Die-cut ID window
- Extendable luggage handle with patented side-release buttons
- External top-zipper pocket for easy access when in overhead compartments
- Internal mesh pocket
- Exposed perforated back panel reduces weight without sacrificing strength
- Plastic bumpers on wear points for extra abrasion resistance
- Two external zipper pockets on face of bag for extra organization
- Approximative weight: 3.33 kg
- Dimensions: 35 x 53 x 21cm
- Fabric: 1000D polyester with TPE laminate, 1680D nylon
- Volume: 40 liters
Airline Carry on Bag Allowances
|Source: skyscanner.net – info correct as of 30th July 2015 – A normal cabin bag weighs 50x40x20cm.|
So there you have 3 of our top carry on bags suitable for short breaks. They all offer great features, durability and design. We hope this quick look has been helpful!