Being well into autumn now, the clocks are going back soon and we’re starting to feel a bit of a chill in the air, we are focused upon what is coming into stock from our range of quality brands for the Winter 2014 season. We thought we’d give you a quick look at new Rab Clothing for this season.
We’ve got 55 new products from the British brand for the winter season, including insulated jackets, waterproof jackets, t-shirts, mid layers and more. Let’s take a look in detail at a few key items to look out for this season.
Rab Microlight Jacket
What is it?
This narrow-baffled Goose down filled jacket was immensely popular last season and it’s set to be just the same again this season.
The jacket is named after the Pertex Microlight fabric of which it’s outer is made from, offering weight reduction whilst maintaining good strength and abrasion resistance.
The Jacket is available for men and women, in hooded (The Microlight Alpine Jacket) and hood-less versions.
- Pertex® Microlight outer fabric
- 750FP European Goose Down
- Rab® fluorocarbon free Hydrophobic Down developed in conjunction with Nikwax®
It’ll keep you warm when you’re out on the hills for a winter walk, as part of a more comprehensive layering system when mountaineering or ice climbing, or for more casual uses (standing outside watching the fireworks in the cold autumn, perhaps)
The appeal of the Microlight comes from the fact that it comfortably delivers quality insulation and warmth with minimal bulk and space. It is extremely ‘packable’, squashing down enabling you to carry it in your pack for us when required. It is also lightweight, with all versions weighing in around or sub the 450g mark. A women’s size 12 weighs in at just 335g.
Hydrophobic down returns to Rab insulated products for this season. What is it? Simply put, it is water repellent/resistant down insulation that has been pre-treated with a special water repellent agent to offer the best properties of both synthetic and natural untreated down as well as several major advantages:
- Hydrophobic down resists water for considerably longer than untreated down.
- It retains the ability to stay lofted when wet, unlike untreated down.
- It absorbs much less water than untreated down, keeping it lofted and preventing clumping and the ‘down soup’ you get when untreated down gets wet.
- It dries quicker and you won’t have to put it in the tumble drier with tennis balls!
Rab Men’s Double Pile Fleece Jacket
What is it?
The iconic Rab Men’s Double Pile Jacket is in no doubt the heaviest and warmest fleece jacket that Rab make.
This ultra warm fleece is constructed from a double layer of Berber Pile fabric (hence the name) which provides exceptional warmth on the coldest of expeditions.
The word that sits below the logo on this jacket describes it very well – “classic” – this fleece is one of Rab’s oldest, most popular and best selling mid layers.
- Wind resistant drop liner in front panel and arms.
- 2 YKK zipped pockets, 1 inner YKK zipped security pocket
- Hem and collar drawcords
Again, warmth and comfort is the name of the game for the Double Pile Jacket. It will perform admirably for a variety of uses, as part of a layering system for walking and trekking, on base camp, or for day-to-day wear in casual situations.
Rab Dynamo 25 Rucksack
What is it?
Rab is relatively new to the world of packs, although parent company Equip UK also have Lowe Alpine, a well-known and highly regarded pack making brand, in their stable as well. There is certainly precedent and experience on hand for Rab to make the most of and produce quality, well thought-out bags that fulfill their purpose.
The Dynamo is a lightweight 25 litre pack, featuring high tenacity Robic Nylon with a DualGuard coating and combined with triplestitched seams to further enhance durability.
There are plenty of the essential features that you’d expect to see on a bag like this, including removable hip belt, compression straps and plenty of storage options including stretch woven side pockets (ideal for a drinks bottle) and a large external pocket.
- Fast drying and breathable perforated foam harness system
- Large external pocket with security key clip
- Concealed daisy chain attachment points
- Internally bartacked stress points
- Weight: 540g
Designed for dynamic movement, multipitch climbing or fast and light mountaineering, but also at home for every day use, commuting, or cycling and features an internal pocket for use with a hydration system.
Rab MeCo 140 Pants
What is it?
Available for both men and women, MeCo 140 Pants are thermal leggings that form part of Rab’s MeCo range of merino-based thermal products. MeCo is a composite fabric that has exceptional moisture management, dries up to 5 times faster and has a wider working range than traditional merino fabrics.
- Light-weight MeCo fabric with stripe
- Moisture wicking elastic waistband
- Flatlock low bulk seams
- Reflective branding
Merino leggings are the perfect foundation to a layering system for the bottom half of your body, be for winter walking, more extreme trekking activities, mountaineering, ice climbing, skiing, etc, or for more every-day purposes such as walks to work or college/university.
What is MeCo? It stands for merino & Coconoa and represents the combination of merino wool with Coconoa-treated recycled polyester around 35%. This offers several benefits:
- Adds capacity for exceptional liquid moisture management
- Accelerates drying and has been shown to be up to 5 times faster
- Extends the comfort range of merino wool into higher temps and higher work loads
Rab Men’s Inferno Shield Hoodie
What is it?
The Inferno Shield Hoodie is a synthetic insulated jacket ideal for use in cold and wet conditions. As is often the case on our hill and mountain ranges, the Inferno Shield Hoodie is perfect for UK winters.
The jacket uses top grade 2-layer Pertex Shield fabric, a waterproof breathable outer shell that reduces condensation build up within the garment to deliver excellent comfort. 80g /m2 of Pyrotec insulation in the body and 60g/m2 in sleeves and hood retains heat and provides warmth to the user.
- 100% nylon ripstop inner
- Helmet compatible hood, with flexible polymer peak, roll down Velcro® tab
- 2-way YKK AquaGuard® front zip with dual internal storm flap system
- 2 YKK AquaGuard® zipped hand pockets
- 1 internal zipped map sized pocket
- Velcro® adjustable cuffs, hem drawcord
- Reflective trim
- Weight: 670g
As mentioned above, this jacket is perfect for the wet, cold winters we are used to in the UK. It’ll provide an excellent first layer of defense and warmth against hostile weather conditions that are often found on popular landscapes and atop the famous peaks of the country.